In the absence of these affirming environments, LGBTQ2S+ youth face a number of increased social, mental health, educational and physical concerns. It is not being LGBTQ2S+ that increases these risks. Rather, it is the lived experience of stigma, discrimination, isolation and prejudice that result in these challenges.
LGBTQ2S+ youth are more likely to:1,2,3,4
- have mental health concerns like depression and suicide attempts
- have problematic substance us, use illegal drugs
- have high-risk sexual encounters, contract HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- experience interpersonal violence like assault, dating violence, sexual assault, bullying and discrimination
- be street involved or homeless